– First up, let’s recap. So far, I’ve gone on about my interest in noir and considered two well-known noir titles, Crossfire and Night & The City. And, although not an official Shades Of Grey post, fellow Journal scribe Peter Schilling looked at the classic, must-see noir Detour. Hopefully, you’re up-to-date. If not, what are you waiting for?
– A film noir I’ve been dying to see is coming to DVD next month! Look for a review here on the Journal sometime soon.
– The Demon Dog of American crime fiction (my favorite writer) James Ellroy (L.A. Confidential, American Tabloid) hosts a new show on Investigation Discovery called James Ellroy’s L.A. City Of Demons that premieres tonight at 10pm. If you get the channel & dig Ellroy – or, even if you just dig noir – check it out.
– When considering films noir, I’m often wrestling with just what constitutes the noir of the film, and it usually comes down to: is it the story or is it the photography? Essentially, what’s got me jazzed on this? So I was delighted to find that very question posed by the Czar Of Noir Eddie Muller in a recent interview. Eddie’s the founder and president of the Film Noir Foundation, which, aside from preserving and presenting films noir, happens to sponsor a boss film noir festival! Which leads me to my biggest piece of news…
– I’m happy to announce that I’ll be representing the James River Film Journal at Noir City 9, aka The Ninth Annual San Francisco Film Noir Festival at The Castro Theatre in SF, CA! The 24 films in this noir-tastic lineup play off a “madness” theme, from the well-known (A Double Life) to the… Oh, yeah, I bet I had you going. He’s going to Noir City 9! Well, truth be told, I’m not attending Noir City 9, but that shouldn’t stop you from getting to know the Film Noir Foundation, the crazy-awesome non-profit “created as an educational resource regarding the cultural, historical, and artistic significance of film noir as an original American cinematic movement.”
– Next up for Shades Of Grey – Anthony Mann’s T-Men. Look for it next Wednesday.